Quality Driven: Pacifica Drives to the Moon and Back 7 Times
August 1, 2016
While the all-new Pacifica may have just landed in dealerships in April, it has already logged more than 3.4 million real-world miles – the equivalent of going to the moon and back – seven times, to be exact.
After many years of safe and reliable service, FCA groundbreaking minivan is passing the baton to its successor, the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica.
Not one to rest on its laurels, FCA US went to work in developing the new minivan with a “customer-first” approach to quality in mind.
The Pacifica team conducted extensive research with current customers – and competitors’ customers – to set the vehicle targets for performance, safety, fuel economy and quality.
The All-New 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Overview
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring-L Plus
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Headlamps
2017 Chrysler Pacifica, interior
2017 Pacifica Testing
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
Customer feedback is always part of the vehicle development process but at FCA US, customers speak for themselves.
The company received their customer feedback from:
• Targeted nine cities in key markets across the United States to speak with current customers and competitors’ customers
• Interviewed more than 3,000 drivers on a number of customer-focused topics
• Held more than 20 focus groups; several groups included participants’ children
• Conducted extensive, in-home meetings with customers
• Surveyed more than 1,400 people on design, features and vehicle segment preferences
With an unsurpassed level of attention to detail and quality, the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is poised to deliver segment-leading durability and reliability.
Thousands of simulated and laboratory tests conducted on Pacifica set the foundation for the regimented reliability, capability and durability testing that continues at company proving grounds around the world.
More than 3.4 million miles … and counting
Reliability is synonymous with quality and it’s something customers expect from their vehicles. Knowing that, the development team literally went the extra mile to ensure the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica does not disappoint.
“The main objective of putting Pacifica through more than 3.4 million miles of real-world driving is to identify and prevent any issues from occurring in the first place,” Scott Garberding, Head of Quality–FCA Global, said. “This commitment to quality is just one piece of a comprehensive strategy that focuses on attention to detail, as it represents one of the final steps in a quality process that began with the inception of Pacifica.”
• FCA US Arizona Proving Grounds in Yucca, Ariz– arid, dusty desert climate with scorching heat up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
• Busy downtown Las Vegas and Los Angeles – grueling city traffic in heat up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit
• Arizona’s Davis Dam– grade sits on Highway 68, a punishing hill climb from the Colorado River at its base to a rocky summit nearly 11 miles up. From start to finish, it’s an almost 3,000-foot elevation gain, providing Pacifica engineers with one of the steepest continuous incline roads in the U.S.
• Michigan Technological University’s Keweenaw Research Center – 740-acre winter test track outside of Houghton, Mich., in the state’s Upper Peninsula
• Fort Greely, Alaska – three weeks of testing in frigid climates that reached temperatures of minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit and below
Quality does not stop with the driver experience, especially in a vehicle like the Pacifica, which can seat up to eight people.
With the all-new, one-of-a-kind Uconnect Theater rear-seat entertainment system featuring two high-definition 10-inch touchscreens, Pacifica transforms the passenger experience.
While thorough driver-focused testing was conducted during more than 3.4 million miles of testing, additional tests were conducted by passengers seated in the second and third rows. Everything from the built-in apps and games on the Uconnect Theater to the seat comfort and ride quality were thoroughly exercised. Technicians worked through an extensive checklist to validate the functionality and reliability of the Uconnect system, as well as how compatible it is with a wide variety of mobile phones, music players and other media devices.
The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is available in five models and the Pacifica Hybrid in two models. The Chrysler Pacifica is now available in dealer showrooms and the Pacifica Hybrid will arrive in the second half of 2016.